What's a birthday without gifts and cake? So why not kill two birds with one stone and present your lucky friend with a gift-cake?
Inspired by Sugarbloom's Tall Cupcake Tutorial, I thought I'd try my hand at covering a cupcake with fondant to make a birthday gift for a special friend. Never mind the fact that I had never covered an entire cake with fondant before....
Well, 9 cupcakes later I think I nailed it:
The mini cake is actually one of my lemon delicious cupcakes, coated in white chocolate ganache and pale pink fondant. I didn't make the pink and white flowers myself, but I did pipe the monogram (another first with Royal Icing mix).
The cake was packaged in a matching gift box with gorgeous Cristina Re vellum paper and brown grosgrain ribbon.
I sacrificed a lot of cupcakes along the way, but I did learn some things in the procees:
- ganache is better than buttercream under fondant
- you really do need to let the ganache set before you try to smooth fondant over it
- fondant isn't as scary as I thought it was
- one mini cake is fine - I would go insane making a whole wedding order!
- a gift cake really is a wonderful present to give your friend!